Monday, November 9, 2015

At what point in the book does Mersault finally make a choice that would give his existence essence? In other words, at what point does he finally become a person, an identity, a 'self'? Discuss.  



Throughout The Stranger Mersault never explains most of his feelings. The only feelings we are ever given by him is what makes him annoyed or irritated, and those are expressed without reason. He never seems sad and he never seems happy. Being able to express feelings is what I would consider a big part of being a person. After Mersault shoots the Arab and goes to trial this is when I would consider him to turn into a person. Finally after everything, he ends up in jail and surprisingly this is when he acts like a person for the first time. Mersault says, "As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate" (pg 123). Mersault finally finds him self happy even though he is a criminal in society. When he was able to open up to human existence he no longer felt as alone as a did earlier in the book. He realized the world as a whole is indifferent just like himself. Because the two are indifferent this connects the two. He has a place now and a chance to restart. 
It frustrates me though because the quote stated above and the point where he finally becomes a person, is in the last few pages of the book and then it just ends.  I want to know if he stays a person or if this was just a one time expression of feelings. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I think Mersault defines himself as an individual when he is in the jail cell. When he says he wants people to greet him with hate, this relates to the idea that bad attention is still attention. Mersault is lonely in the cell and in his last days alive, therefore, he is hoping for company, any company for that matter.

    I didn't really think about the ending like you did, but now I feel the same way. That's annoying how the book just ends. Good job Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think Mersault defines himself as an individual when he is in the jail cell. When he says he wants people to greet him with hate, this relates to the idea that bad attention is still attention. Mersault is lonely in the cell and in his last days alive, therefore, he is hoping for company, any company for that matter.

    I didn't really think about the ending like you did, but now I feel the same way. That's annoying how the book just ends. Good job Em!

    ReplyDelete