Thursday, October 1, 2015

Socratic Seminar: End-of-Book, Lewis' Warning to Humanity

During the socratic seminar the thing that stood out to me the most is what we considered to be evil was different when talking about animals versus humans. When talking about what evil means to humans we all came up with the same answer. Killing somebody is always always considered evil. But then somebody asked the question, "What about animals? If a bear kills another animal is that evil?" Many people replied to this question, "no". I agree that an animal killing another animal is not considered evil because that is the only way many animals can get their food. Animals do not have the luxury we have of walking into a market and buying food that they can eat. But then I got confused. How can we define evil if it is different to every species?

Thinking about this over the past day, I've made the conclusion that "evil" cannot be universally defined. Everybody's interpretation of evil is different and special to them. Many people still to this day would consider being gay, lesbian, transexual, etc. as evil. They think of these people in a evil way just because they are considered "different". I for one do not believe those people are considered evil at all. They are just normal people like anybody else. This is only one example of how I believe defining evil is different for everybody.

I do not think we should try and define evil in a universal way. Everybody has the right to decide what they think is evil and what they think is not. If we define evil then we are forcing people to all believe the same idea of evil, and to me forcing people to believe something is considered evil. But that's just me.


No comments:

Post a Comment